The government currently provides additional funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
THE AIM OF THIS FUNDING IS TO:
- Increase participation rates in such activities as games, dance, gymnastics, swimming and athletics
- Increase and improve success in competitive school sports
- Ensure an inclusive physical education curriculum
- Ensure children experience a range of provisional and alternative sporting activities
- Improve partnership work on physical education with other schools and other local partners
- Increase links with other subjects that contribute to pupils’ overall achievement and their greater social, spiritual, moral and cultural skills ensure greater awareness amongst pupils about the dangers of obesity, smoking and other such activities that undermine pupils’ health